Tutorial: How to create a FiveM server
Hi folks! Ever wanted to know how to create a GTA RP server? In this tutorial we describe how to create a GTA5 roleplay server based on FiveM. We tried to keep it as simple as possible to ensure you will be successful on creating your own Grand Theft Auto community.
To create a GTA 5 roleplay game server on FiveM, you will need a little bit of technical know-how. For the basics you can use a framework that already exists.
Well, that’s a good question: This depends on the power of your server (and how many players are supported). The cheapest price is $5 and can be up to $500 monthly (which is likely the maximum). But the average is around $15-$50 per month.
We recommend at least 6 GB of RAM and a solid 4-core CPU.
Step 1: Choose your framework
There are dozens of frameworks available around the web. The most used ones are:
Which one to choose?
It’s up to you: ESX has a better amount of scripts, while QBCore is newer. It’s up to you which framework you’ll use. Google and test around if you’re not sure.
Step 2: Pre-requirements for your server
- a server for hosting (vServer/root recommended) with at least 6gb of RAM
Little notice: We do not recommend Zaphosting as main-server. It can be used for testing instances though.
- a database (MySQL or MariaDB)
- basic LUA-knowhow
- Visual C++ 2019 (download it here)
- Try to find a server-team. Speak about rules and possible problems before you’ll start.
Step 3 (optional*): Download a FiveM server template
* this step is not necessary, but will make everything much easier. Promised!
We prepared some finished plug&play solutions for your server, so you don’t need to start from zero. We recommend using a pack instead of setting up your complete server (if you want to learn, it can be helpful though).
These server templates offer a lot for you:
- Complete jobs, plug and play
- already built in maps
- admin tools to administrate your server and players
- Database is already pre-setup as .SQL downloadable
- You save A LOT OF TIME
The good thing is: You do not have to start from 0 – the basics are inside here and it saves you hours of work.
Special offers are now running. Choose a server package:
Step 4: How to install your new FiveM roleplay server
- Create a new directory (for example
D:\FXServer\server), this will be your server folder
- Download the last server version of FiveM: artifacts server.
- Extract the files
- Download and extract cfx-server-data to a folder, for example to
- Create a server.cfg file inside the directory:
server-data(this is an example: example server.cfg).
- Generate a new FiveM key from the keymaster: https://keymaster.fivem.net.
- Adjust the key inside the server.cfg:
- Start the server! Wooho! 😎
If you use the pack from above, you don’t have to force all of the steps. It is important that the server has a correct key. If you want the server to be accessible from the outside, activate the ports, otherwise friends cannot join.
Once you’ve set up the server, you can get down to business: Install ESX (everything is done with the pack already). To do this, you set up a database and run the .sql. Then you start ESX and have a base for your server.
Step 5: Conclusion & How to upgrade your server (scripts/maps)
Yes, that’s basically it. Start your server, test around and give yourself admin permissions. You’ll find a list of permissions and commands right here.
Your server needs new jobs, scripts or whole mods? You can download and maintain various jobs from the FiveM forum or buy some from our FiveM shop.
Create your GTA5 RP server today. We wish you a lot of fun with the GTA roleplay!